Voting Overseas

While living overseas, U.S. Citizens are still eligible to vote in elections back home using the absentee voting process. We advise that you apply for your ballots months in advance so that they are approved and can be mailed between the U.S. and U.K. in time for election day. 

Click here for U.S. Department of State step-by-step instructions on how to register to vote while overseas.

Click here for Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) resources.

Please contact us if you have any questions on registering to vote, requesting a ballot, or submitting a completed ballot.

How to Vote Abroad:


Step 1: Register and request your absentee ballot using the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA)

The FPCA registers you to vote and requests absentee ballots for a minimum of all federal elections in the current calendar year.

Online version:

� Use the online assistant at to complete your FPCA. 

� The online assistant uses your State's requirements as you go through the process of completing the form. 

� Download the PDF package, print, sign and send to your election official.

� NOTE: You will need to have your own envelope to send your completed FPCA by mail. Envelope templates are available to download online at

Hardcopy version:

� Get a hardcopy FPCA from a Voting Assistance Officer, U.S. embassy and/or consulate. 

� Send your completed and signed FPCA to your election official.


Step 2: Receive your absentee ballot

� Your election official will process your FPCA to determine the appropriate ballot to send you.

� Your local election official will contact you if your application is denied or if they need additional information from you to process your form.

� Election officials are required to send absentee ballots no later than 45 days before an election. If you submit your FPCA within 45 days of the election, they will send your ballot as soon as possible.


Step 3a: Return your voted State ballot

Vote and return your State absentee ballot following the instructions.


Step 3b: If you do not receive your State ballot

� If you do not receive your State absentee ballot in time to return it to your election office by the State deadline, you can use the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (FWAB), which serves as a backup ballot. 

� You can download the forms and or use the online assistant at or get a hardcopy from a Voting Assistance Officer.






What is the reference website?


Where do I find all the forms?


Where do I find all the information in one pdf document, including forms and how to fill them?


When are the elections taking place?


Do the instructions vary by state? 

Yes, there could be small variations. The details are here:


I have never resided in the US. Can I vote? 

In principle yes, but that differs across states. The following link states the specific rules for your state:


If I don’t reside in the US, what is my legal state of residence?

Your legal state of residence is your address in which you were last domiciled, immediately before leaving the USA. 


Can I register to vote at the US embassy or consulate? 

No, as US elections are run at the state level. 


Must I submit a separate application for each election?

The FPCA registers you for a minimum of all federal election in the current calendar year. You should submit a new FPVA every January or when you change your address.


Fighting FATCA

FATCA is the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act. FATCA was intended to prevent domestic Americans from illegally hiding their taxable wealth in foreign banks, but it has instead created significant hardships for law abiding overseas Americans.

FATCA requires foreign financial institutions (‘FFIs’) such as banks or investment companies to share overseas Americans’ financial data with the IRS. FFIs either sign up with the IRS to send the information directly or share the information with the host countries’ central tax authorities, who then pass it on to the IRS. There is no wealth threshold for the collection of this financial information: if you are an American citizen with an overseas account, then information on that account—no matter the amount of money it contains—will be collected and shared with the IRS. The information collected by the FFIs would require a warrant if gathered on domestic US citizens.

The FFIs collect this information because the US government imposes severe fines upon any FFIs found not to be in compliance. Fines can be up to 30% of all of the FFI’s revenue generated in the United States, which—if imposed—could cripple any financial institution.

To avoid these crippling penalties, banks either diligently comply with FATCA by collecting and sharing their customers’ most sensitive financial information or they choose not to have American citizens as customers at all.

While compliance with FATCA certainly violates Americans’ right to privacy (among others), the most crippling effect is the denial of basic banking services to overseas Americans. These services include checking accounts, savings accounts, retirement accounts, child savings accounts, investment accounts and mortgages. FATCA thus prevents many overseas Americans from participating in the basic financial services needed for everyday life.

Republicans Overseas seeks the repeal of FATCA because FATCA violates several constitutional rights guaranteed to all Americans and because FATCA impedes the ability of overseas Americans to access the financial services necessary for everyday life.

To learn more, please click here.


Territorial Based Taxation

Republicans Overseas released its white paper on territorial tax reform for individuals on January 6, 2017.  Consistent with the proposals being considered for corporate tax reform, worldwide taxation for individuals should be replaced with a territorial system. Click here to access the white paper.



Be the first to comment

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.